Year B, Proper 9
My reflections are short for Propers 9, 10, 11 and 12 because they fall this year in the month of July (2015). Much of this month I will be on pilgrimage in Ireland. I was there on pilgrimage five years ago so this is a very welcome return. For a week my husband and I will be pilgrims together before joining thirty-seven others to lead them on pilgrimage with John Dominic and Sarah Crossan. As you read these shortened postings send us prayers for traveling mercies, health, and the grace to slow down and practice the presence of God more deeply. And you can throw in a prayer or two for some days of sun in the midst of the Irish mist. (Especially on July 19th when we hope to visit the pilgrimage isle of Skellig Michal.)
The theme that jumped out at me in all the texts this week was Leadership.
- 2 Samuel –the shepherd turned warrior becomes king; David rules forty years and “became greater and greater, for the LORD, the God of hosts, was with him.”
- Psalm 48 – images of the city of God, a leader among cities with its temple and where we ponder God’s steadfast love.
- Ezekiel – calling of the prophet to lead prophetically
- Psalm 123 – God as leader of the people who has mercy even when the people rebel
- 2 Corinthians – Paul “boasts” of his leadership in comparison to the super-apostles, strong charismatic rhetoricians; Paul “boasts” that his weaknesses make him strong as he leads in the name of Christ Jesus
- Mark 6 – Jesus is not accepted as a leader in his hometown; he sends the twelve out two by two to preach, teach, heal and lead the people back to God.
- There are many stories about kings of all kinds….wise, foolish, tyrannical, servant. Here are a few of my favorites:
- There is a story of Prince Siddhartha who became the Buddha when he was young. It speaks of the actions of a true leader.
Short version: ww.buddhanet.net/e- learning/buddhism/lifebuddha/5lbud.htm .
- “This, Too, Shall Pass”, a Jewish Wisdom Tale about King Soloman at http://www.theemotionmachine.com/this-too-shall-pass-a-lesson-in-impermanence .
- “The Wounded Healer”, a story about the Messiah from the Talmud at http://www.centerforwomensministries.org/the-wounded-healer-part-1/ .
©Jane Anne Ferguson, 2015 and beyond. Text and photos to be reprinted with permission only.